Echo Park construction site close up

Echo Park construction site.

"Who do I call about all this noise?!"

Well, what kind of noise are you talking about?

The Eastside has a full menu of clamor and distractions that can wake you up, ruin your podcast recordings, and frighten your pets: Construction, fireworks, landscaping equipment, barking dogs, films production, and of course, helicopters.

So. Many. Helicopters.

The following is a list of resources for filing complaints about the noise - depending on what kind of noise it is.


LAPD helicopters:

Call LAPD Air Support Division 1-213-485-2600

L.A. County Sheriff’s Department helicopters:

Los Angeles County Sheriff Department dispatch (LASD): 1-562-421-2701

Sheriff’s Department’s general complain form.

Other helicopters:

** Federal Aviation Administration - Noise Ombudsman


Voice mail: 1-202-267-3521.

Snail mail:

Federal Aviation Administration

Aviation Noise Ombudsman, AEE-2

800 Independence Ave. S.W.

Washington, DC 20591

** Regional Ombudsman for Southern California

Ivan Gutierrez


Phone: 1-424-405-8020

Online contact form.


Noise or not, fire works are illegal. So they can be reported through the usual channels of municipal services and law enforcement. 

Police non-emergency phone

1-877-ASK-LAPD, or 1-877-275-5273

City services

Phone - 311

Online complaint portal

What's the most annoying sound of the city?

Select your top noise complaint

You voted:


Most of us have a barking dog or two somewhere nearby. A few poor souls even live within crowing range of a rooster. Try the following resources:

City of Los Angeles

Barking dog complaints must be submitted in writing to your local Animal Care and Control Center with the name, address, and telephone number of the complainant, a description of the nuisance, and the name and address of the dog owner.

If you live within the City of Los Angeles, the local animal control center is:

North Central Animal Care and Control Center

3201 Lacy Street

Los Angeles, CA 90031

1-888-4LAPET1 (1-888-452-7381)


East Los Angeles 

If you live in unincorporated East LA, contact:

L.A. County Animal Care and Control - Noise complaint form

Other Noise

Gas leaf blower

City of L.A., Bureau of Street Services - 1-213-847-6000

Fixed equipment

(Includes industrial and commercial machinery and equipment such as pumps, fans, compressors, air conditioners, and refrigeration equipment.)

Department of Building and Safety: 1-213-252-3039

Film shoots

Film LA: 1-213-977-8600

Construction, deliveries, trash pick-up, and nightclubs

LAPD Noise Enforcement Team - 1-213-996-1250 

Construction - allowable hours:

  • Monday through Friday, 7 am to 9 pm
  • Saturdays and National Holidays, 8 am to 6 pm
  • Sundays, no construction except for residents

Trash pick-up - allowable hours, if the trash bin is within 200 feet of a resident:

  • 6 am to 9 pm

Deliveries - allowable hours, within 200 feet of a resident:

  • 7 am to 10 pm


  • Clubs are in violation of the noise ordinance if they exceed the ambient noise level of their area by more than five decibels.

Support community news in 2021

Support community news in 2021

The Eastsider needs your support!

The Eastsider is committed to providing news and information free to all as a community service. But reporting and writing neighborhood news takes time -- and money. Join the other Eastsider readers whose one-time contributions and monthly sponsorships help pay our bills and allow us to provide you the news and info that keeps you connected to your community. -- Jesus Sanchez, Publisher

Assistant Editor

Barry Lank has worked for newspapers on the East and West Coasts, and earned an MS in journalism from Columbia University. He formerly produced "National Lampoon Presents: The Final Edition." A native of San Gabriel Valley, he now lives in East Hollywood.

Load comments